- Electric Vehicle Release Opening Ceremony for Use of the Pengerang Municipal Council was completed by YBhg. Mrs. Hajah Zuraida Binti Kamaruddin, the Minister of Housing and Local Government (KPKT)
- The event was a sign of support from the Ministry of Housing and Local Government (KPKT) for Smart City development initiatives in Malaysia including efforts to make Pengerang a model of Smart Cities in Johor. The KPKT welcomes cooperation between UTHM and Perisind Samudra Sdn Bhd and the Pengerang Municipal Council in promoting the use of electric vehicles in Pengerang as a pioneer in making Pengerang a smart and sustainable city.
- First UTHM electric vehicle developed by Applied Electromagnetic Research Center (EMCenter), Institute for integrated engineering is known as "ECO".
- ECO derived from word ecology and the first electric vehicle (EV) characterized by zero pollution and smart design.
- The Electric Vehicle flag off Ceremony was held at the RF and Microwave Engineering Laboratory, Faculty of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (FKEE), UTHM.
- This vehicle has the concept of a mini-truck for the purpose of medium distance transportation and can carry a load of up to 2 Tons.
- This vehicle was built for the purpose of transporting domestic goods to replace the small diesel-powered trucks that are widely used today.
- Has a maximum speed of up to 100km /h, a torque of 120Nm, as well as various other features including a voice command system to make it easier for users to activate the lighting system and rear view camera, making this vehicle very easy to operate. It only requires an electric power source from a residential house (240V) to be recharged and each full charge can carry an ECO up to 100km.
INNOVATION IN TRANSPORTATION
- Retrofit electronic fuel injection system (FGK) for small petrol engines; 4-stroke, 100 - 150cc engines.
- FGK comes with a tuneable ECU and tuning software.
- FGK will assist users of small petrol engines or motorcycles to operate their engines using our novel EFI system, replacing the carburettors.
- This FGK system comes together with a tuneable ECU where users can tune the ECU using our very own tuning software, IGNITUS.
- Institute for integrated engineering have collaboration with SENA Traffics System Sdn Bhd (STS) for development of smart city
- IIE had received 1 million from STS research and development on smart city
- Among the signs of MoA signed is that STS will take a strategic step by opening a research center on UTHM’s main campus to ensure that the university’s students and researchers get the information and data quickly yet continuously seek industry cooperation.
- One of the advanced systems developed for smart cities are advanced traffic light systems that can reduce road congestion and carbon emissions that make Malaysia’s cities more environmentally friendly.
Universiti Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia (UTHM) and Batu Pahat City Council (MPBP) had a Memorandum of Association (MOA) on urban transportation towards low carbon Penggaram town 2030.
MPBP chose Penggaram as their case study because this area is one of the fastest-growing cities in Malaysia, specifically in industrial development and education.
As a rapidly developing city and growing population density, few aspects had been considered a long-term goal for the local community such as the awareness of reducing energy consumption and carbon dioxide emissions.
This is why MBPB has mobilized the best initiatives by involving 13 agencies that together helped towards the low-carbon town which was targeted in 2030.
Since UTHM’s niche area focuses on sustainable technology and transportation, UTHM is given a great mandate to undertake research and development of low-carbon urban transport development to realize MPBP’s desire to make Kota Penggaram as one of the low-carbon by 2030.
Besides, UTHM will also be benchmarked by Malaysian Green Technology Corporation in preparing the Low Carbon Town Transport Planning and Improvement Plan Framework for the town of Penggaram to be implemented in other areas throughout the country in the future